Every pet owner dreads talking about fleas. The hot months of summer become even more frustrating due to the attack of fleas on your pet. It annoys the pet as well as the pet owner and causes trouble to them both. If you are a first-time pet owner, you need to understand the problem is obvious but the signs are not obvious. If you think fleas can never get into your home, you may be wrong. Here are some signs you need to watch out for.
- Red patches on the skin: Flea bites are usually allergic to dogs and cats and this can cause unusual patches on the skin. If the pet is hypersensitive, a flea bite can cause rashes all over the body.
- Scratching, biting or licking: Fleas try to suck as much blood out of the pet as possible. They can easily jump from host to environment and environment to host. They set up a habitat on the pet and try to reach out to new places. This causes irritation to the pet and the pet spends all their time scratching and licking their body.
- Pale Gums: This is a sign of anemia. In case of any signs of anemia, you need to immediately consult the vet. It could be a serious condition and can lead to death. In case of pale gums, it is a sign that the flea infestation is very high and the pet does not have enough red blood cells to cover for the loss of blood which is extracted by the fleas.
- Hair loss: The loss of hair in a pet could be due to a number of reasons. One of them could be flea bites. Due to constant scratching and biting, the dog ends up pulling out its own hair. However, in case of a severe hair loss, you need to consult a vet for the treatment.
- Flea Dirt: This is one of the easiest ways of determining if your pet is infested with fleas. If the pet has reddish-brown or black specks on the body of the pet, it is the flea feces. You can check this using a white towel. Roll the towel on the abdomen of the pet and see the color of the fleas that fall off. If it is dark brown in color, it is the blood which the flea has excreted. Alternatively, you can wear white socks and walk in the area where your pet spends maximum time. You will notice the color of the flea in the clean background.
If you notice the presence of fleas on your pet, you need to look for flea treatment products and ensure that your pet is immediately treated. You will be required to repeat the treatment since there are chances of re-infestation of the fleas.
If you do not notice any fleas on the pet but the pet is constantly itching and scratching, you need to consult a vet for the same. If your dog spends a lot of time outdoors, the chances of a flea infestation increase.
There are a number of products you can choose from. It is important to consider the preference and lifestyle of the pet before using the product. A vet can help you make the right choice. Pet Action has a number of high-quality flea and tick treatment products.
If you have two pets in your home, you will have to check them both for fleas. If one has an infestation, there are increased chances of the other pet also having an infestation. Never use the products meant for cats to treat your dog. This could cause dangerous allergies to the pet. When buying a flea treatment product, consider the preferences of the pet and choose a product which is easy to apply.
There are a number of products available in the market for you to choose from. The application of the same should be done according to the instructions on the label.
Maintain the safety of your pet by cleaning your home from time to time. You can use a vacuum to clean the home and get rid of fleas.
If you have children in your home, you will have to make it a weekly routine. Fleas irritate your pet and do not let them live peacefully. If you overlook the presence of fleas on the pet, you could end up in trouble as the pet could end up with a serious medical condition.
Related articles from around the web