Although Chihuahuas are usually healthy, they do have special health considerations, both as puppies and as adults. For puppies, starting at birth through age sixteen weeks, you should be aware of some potential health issues.
Chihuahuas, among other small breeds, often develop “reverse sneezing,” which can be caused by excitement, soft palate problems, dust and pollen, cold air, or a collapsed trachea. Your Chihuahua may sound like it is gasping or huffing for air, honking like a goose, or wheezing.
Another Chihuahua health risk is hypoglycemia, as Chihuahuas have a very small fat reserve around the liver. This problem can happen at any age, although small, young Chihuahua puppies have a higher potential for developing hypoglycemia.
Chihuahuas (just like people) need essential fatty acids, which are good fats like Omega 3 and Omega 6 that help build cell membranes in the body. Without them, the body’s chemical structure will not function as well. Omega 6 is one fatty acid that cannot be made by your Chihuahua’s body. Therefore, you should ensure your Chihuahua is getting Omega 6 in its diet for optimal health.
To determine if your Chihuahua has a deficiency in fatty acids, check its skin to see if it is flaky and if the coat is dull, greasy, or has a course texture. If you notice these things, you can be relatively certain your Chihuahua is not getting enough essential fatty acids.
Other Chihuahua health problems you may notice that may be attributed to a lack of or reduction in essential fatty acids:
– Arthritis or arthritis-like conditions
– Behavioral disturbances
– Disrupted healing process
– Dry nose
– Eczema-like skin eruptions
– Foul odor coming from the coat
– Heart and circulatory problems
– Hindered growth
– Impaired learning abilities or vision
– Kidney or liver degeneration
– Lethargy or lack of energy
– Male sterility
– Regular hair loss
– Vulnerability to infection
Don’t forget that Chihuahuas have a tendency of becoming obese. To maintain proper Chihuahua care, keep your dog on a healthy food, decrease treats, take your dog for a walk, and provide regular weigh-ins to ensure correct weight is being maintained. Obesity is a major cause of coronary heart disease and if your Chihuahua is allowed to live with excess weight, its health or lifespan could be dramatically reduced!
With its immune system not yet fully developed, problems such as worms, parvovirus, myocarditis, or coccidian can spread through contaminated feces. Without being vaccinated, your puppy has a greater risk of getting sick. Puppies love to sniff around the ground and can easily get into something they should avoid.
* http://www.cachorrosyorkshirechihuahuas.com Mira nuestros cachorros chihuahua enanos. Criadero cachorros chihuahuas mini toy, Puppies.Cachorro chihuahua con garantía escrita sanitaria. Vendemos a toda España y Exterior. Información: 665 92 16 55 Videos Cachorros Chihuahuas muy pequeños Chihuahuas Chihuahuas Amazon products you should keep an eye on: Socksmith Ladies Chihuahua Sock, Ocean BlueLove Chihuahua’s? So do we! Our […]
Found in Angeleno Heights: Friendly tan Chihuahua dog Found a light brown, male, un-fixed, Chihuahua (ish – he’s a bit bigger) dog wandering in the road at the junction of East Kensington and Douglas in Angeleno Heights about 7.30 this morning. Looks relatively well fed but is covered in fleas and no collar. Continue reading […]
Lancashire dog born without front legs hops around like a KANGAROO – Daily Mail Daily MailLancashire dog born without front legs hops around like a KANGAROODaily MailA determined chihuahua born without front legs refuses to let his disability hold him back – by hopping around on his stumps like a kangaroo. Roo was given to […]
* Are you wondering if is Pancho alive? Watch the Real Story behind this video: Instagram – http://instagram.com/nicandpancho Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/nicandpancho Site – http://nicandpancho.com/ Created by Nic Bello http://www.nicbello.com/ We are Nic and Pancho, the man and the chihuahua that made you smile with our Yoga workout. Is the dog really man’s best friend? We […]