If you are going to be bringing a puppy home that hasn't been house trained, you can use this step-by-step guide. If you follow the nine steps described here, you will be successful in house training your puppy. In order to be successful, you must be consistent and persistent.
1.It's crucial for the process to have the correct size of dog crate. Make sure you obtain one before the puppy arrives. This means it should be large enough so your puppy can lie down in it and turn around in it but not much larger than that. A puppy's instinct is to never soil his nest and the crate will act as his nest. However, if it's large enough so he can sleep in one corner and poo in the other, he probably will!
2. Make sure you are available for at least two days, so that you can remain with your puppy. He's going to require taking outside a lot to begin with – from every half an hour to every hour.
3. You may need to restrict your puppy's access to particular areas of the house until he is house trained.
4. There are particular times when he is very likely to require taking outside, so take him out at these times: when he awakens in morning, when he wakes up from a nap, after he's been exerting himself (for example, playing hard), after each meal or drink and before he goes to sleep at night.
5. When he arrives you are going to need to take him outside every half an hour to hour minutes, until you begin to recognise the signs that he wants to poo or pee. The sign may be sniffing, circling or backing up.
6. Once you see the signal that he wants to relieve himself, you should take him outside quickly and wait until he does his business.
7. When he does his business, immediately give him lots of praise and attention.
8. You can leave your puppy in the crate for an hour when you cannot watch him for a time. Firstly, however, your puppy must be content to stay in the dog crate. The way to achieve this is through giving small tasty treats when he is next to the crate and then gradually tempting him inside with them. Once he's been in a few times, shut the door very briefly and then open again. The time the door is closed should be slowly increased. You can also put an interactive toy or a dispensing toy in the crate to keep him occupied.
9. If he does have an accident and makes a mess in the house, just ignore him when he does it but be sure to clean it up and clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner or hot biological washing powder solution. If you just clean normally, some scent will remain and your puppy will be tempted to soil the same area again.
For more information about puppy crate training and house training your puppy, visit my Training Puppy Tips website.
Bestsellers and Hot Products
Chuckit Ultra Ball Dog Toy, Medium (2.5 Inch Diameter) Pack of 2, for breeds 20-60 lbs42% Off
Amazon Basics Rubber Fetch Toy Dog Balls, 2.5-Inch, 10-Pack$16.15 (as of May 28, 2023 01:26 GMT -06:00 - More infoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.)
Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dry Puppy Food, Chicken and Rice Formula - 6 lb. Bag20% Off
Blink Mini Pan-Tilt Camera | Rotating indoor plug-in smart security camera, two-way audio, HD video, motion detection, Works with Alexa (Black)$59.99 (as of May 28, 2023 01:26 GMT -06:00 - More infoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.)
Bark Box,Dog Barking Control Devices,Anti Barking Device 45 Ft,3-Frequency Ultrasonic Dog Bark Deterrent,Safe for Pets and People, Waterproof (White)$32.99 ($16.50 / Gram) (as of May 28, 2023 01:26 GMT -06:00 - More infoProduct prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.)
Good Christmas Gifts for Pets
The holiday season is a time for giving and picking out the perfect gift can often be a challenge. Especially when it comes to choosing presents for our favorite furry friends who can't exactly tell us what they would like. Here are some recommendations on great christmas gifts for pets! 1. Let your favorite dog […]
7 Christmas Card Dog
1. Muttropolis gift card Price: $15.00 A mutt must-have and the perfect custom dog gifts for any occasion! Give one to welcome a new puppy or kitty, to celebrate a pet adoption or pet birthday, or just to say “Thanks so mutts!” Our paw-pleasing gift card is good for both muttropolis.com and in-store purchases. Recipients may […]
Garden allows dogs for first time
15 January 2013 Last updated at 10:40 ET By Chris Dearden BBC Wales News One of the best known gardens in wales is allowing dogs inside for the first time. Bodnant garden in the Conwy Valley has been in the hands of the national trust since 1949. The 80-acre site has been open to the […]
Wireless Fence Leader Havahart
wireless fence leader havahart® Wireless Announces a dog training Rebate Program Buy a Custom-Shape havahart® Wireless Fence. Train your dog with a pro. Save up to $ 100! Lititz, PA (PRWEB) July 26, 2011 “A well-trained dog is a happy dog,” stated Kelly howard, Category Development Associate for Havahart® Wireless parent company Woodstream Corp. “The […]