Hand injuries are frequently caused by human and animal bites, prompting as many as 330,000 emergency department visits in the United States each year. A literature review appearing in the January issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (JAAOS) outlines the potential complications of human and animal bites to the hand, the importance of early injury assessment, and the use of antibiotic and other treatment methods to avoid infection, permanent disability, and amputation.
“Although many people may be reluctant to immediately go to a doctor, all bites to the hand should receive medical care,” said orthopaedic surgeon and lead study author Stephen A. Kennedy, MD. “And while routine antibiotics are not necessarily recommended for other bite wounds, they are recommended for a bite to the hand to reduce the risk of infection and disability.”
Human bites to the hand–while accounting for only two to three percent of all hand bite injuries–can occur during altercations and include wounds caused by punching type contact with the mouth or teeth, domestic abuse, or accidentally during sports, play, or other activities. Human bites to the fingers and hand that penetrate through the skin can transmit infection through oral flora, or saliva, which contains more than 600 bacterial species.
Animals also have saliva containing a broad range of bacteria. Adult dog jaws, especially among larger breeds, are capable of exerting a bite force of more than 300 pounds, and when combined with the variety and sharpness of their teeth–designed to clamp, hold, tear, and crush food–can cause significant injuries to hand and finger ligaments, tendons, and bones. Cats do not have the jaw strength of dogs; however, their sharp, narrow teeth also can cause serious injury. An estimated 30 percent to 50 percent of cat bites are complicated by infections, which can occur as early as three hours after injury in approximately 50 percent of the infection cases. Infections due to dog bites typically occur at less than half the rate of cat bites.
By the numbers:
- More than half of all Americans will sustain an animal bite in their lifetimes.
- Bites from domestic animals (primarily dogs) account for more than 90 percent of bites. In the United States, approximately 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
- The annual health care costs associated with cat and dog bites are estimated at more than $ 850 million.
If a hand-to-mouth injury or bite occurs:
- Inspect the hand carefully for any puncture wounds. Even a small wound can inject virulent bacteria under the skin.
- If there is a puncture wound of any size, wash as soon as possible with soap and water then seek medical advice.
- If you see redness, feel increasing pain over time or see red streaking up the hand or arm (or along a tendon), these are signs of a significant infection and
Haha so cute and funny how babies take dogs for a walk, but even funnier when dogs take babies for a walk 😛 Hope you like our compilation, please share it a…
1. Kong Wobbler A lot of dog owners have reported positive results using a Kong Wobbler. The toy is designed to be filled with dog treats or kibble. The design makes it virtually impossible for your dog to get the treats out of the toy, which can help prevent separation anxiety. It takes a little […]
Relocating to a new house is a whole lot of work, especially when you are doing it all by yourself. This includes going through an adjustment period, where you will feel the need to adapt to the new environment and other factors. Just like humans, our furry friends also need to have some time to […]
Welcoming a pet into your home as a friend for a lifetime Is always a dreamy milestone to achieve. But if you are someone who starts to show allergic reactions as soon as you come in contact with the pet, then this dreamy situation can turn into a Nightmare. So, if you are facing this […]
Recent estimates indicate that approximately 90 million dogs – and close to 100 million cats – have a home in the United States. When it comes to their pets, animal lovers spare no expense in caring for their pet or showcasing their love for man’s best friends. But don’t let that last statement fool you […]