1/26/2014 (Updated 10:48:50 PM)
A family in Harpursville is thankful to be alive all because of their newly adopted beagle puppy.
When Amy Walker was woken up by her dog Maddie barking in the middle of the night, she had no idea what was going on. The dog usually sleeps quietly through the night and when Walker went to let her out, she smelled what she describes as exhaust fumes. She quickly turned off all her thermostats and the breaker and called someone to service her heating system.
“The pipe that comes from the furnace to the chimney was clogged so it wasn’t exhausting the carbon monoxide. So had Maddie not woke me up, I don’t know if we would have woke up the next morning,” said Amy Walker of Harpursville, NY.
Walker says she was shocked to learn that what she smelled was her house being filled with carbon monoxide. The detector she has in her home never went off. Walker adopted Maddie from a local non-profit called Harper’s Haven earlier this month. Harper’s Haven is a dog rescue organization that helps find homes for pets whose owners can no longer take care of them.