Nov 21, 2013 3:56pm
It’s the oldest story in the book: “The dog ate my homework.”
However, for Payton Moody, 13, of Englewood, Colo., who slaved away for hours on her candy-covered volcano project, that story became painfully true not only for her, but for her poor dog, Reggie.
The 2-year-old yellow Labrador got ahold of Payton’s hard work for her eighth grade science class, which had been assembled with more than 50 straight pins holding all the candy pieces securely in place.
“She had chocolate as the mountain and used Twizzlers for lava coming out, with blue M&Ms for water,” Payton’s mother, Kara Moody, told GoodMorningAmerica.com. “She used the pins because I didn’t want the hot glue gun around her younger brother.”
While most of the family was away at their son’s football game on Oct. 20, Reggie had managed to knock the completed project off the top of Payton’s desk, proceeding to eat “every last little bit,” according to Moody, 46, which was comprised of “pretty much the whole box of pins.”
Once they realized what had happened, the family immediately rushed Reggie to the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital to undergo emergency surgery to deal with the dangerous amount of straight pins and chocolate, which is also toxic for dogs.